How do I join as a community event?
- Find a space that’s available for you to use on Sunday November 12, 2017.
- Download the Curriculum from our Toolbox, for free. All you have to do to register is tell us about your event.
- Find someone to teach – that can be you, a rabbi, a parent, a school teacher, a student leader, your best friend. Even if you have no teaching experience, our Curriculum can guide you. If you want to use other materials or have prepared your own study guides, that’s great!
- Tell your community that you’re having an event by inviting them through email, social media, word-of-mouth, flyers and bulletin boards, carrier pigeon, smoke-signals, any way you can. Need some help with marketing? The Toolbox also has a number of resources and guides to help you get the word out.
- Gather your community members together on Sunday November 12, 2017. This can be all day, for a few hours, even for one hour. Bring that feeling of discovery to your life and your community through the joy of studying together.
- Have a day of studying together, using the Curriculum and the 2017 theme of “Beauty & Ugliness”. When we study together, we can learn from each other as well as from Jewish texts.
- When you study on November 12, so will thousands of Jews in more than 500 communities around the world – at the same time! That’s what makes this the Global Day of Jewish Learning.
- Don’t have access to a physical space? Have an online gathering! Study online together, and bring your community closer with the power of the Internet!
Uniting communities through study of our shared texts: The Global Day of Jewish Learning reaches every corner of the Jewish world.
How do I join as an individual?
- Find an event near you! Look on the Global Jewish Map to see if there’s an event close by. Do you belong to a Jewish community group, such as a synagogue, JCC or Federation? See if someone local is hosting an event. If they are, just show up, ready to learn on Sunday November 12, 2017.
- Don’t have an event nearby? Encourage your community members to join you in creating your own group event.
- Don’t have the resources or the time to organize? If you have access to the Internet, just tune in to our LIVE video webcast series ON AIR. You’ll get to join a global classroom with scholars, artists, educators and rabbis who will be streaming their insights right to your computer! You can ask questions, engage with the speakers and your fellow viewers, and have year-long access to the videos you missed.
We bring Jews of all backgrounds together in a day of study to advance Rabbi Steinsaltz’s mission: “Let my people know.”
What’s in the Curriculum?
- Yearly curriculum features text-based classes on an annual theme. This year, the theme is “Beauty & Ugliness“.
- Six units for adults; two for school children. Each unit has text sources, activities, teachers’ guides and discussion questions.
- Our rich curriculum library of 50+ units from the last 5 years can be used year-round.
- You get Rabbi Steinsaltz “on demand”: Each year the Rabbi adds a new video class enriched with engaging discussion questions.
- Our materials will be made available in English, Hebrew, Russian and Spanish.
- The PJ Library contributes early childhood curricula (in English) for learning-based activities that involve the whole family.
How do we study?
- You can use our Curriculum, which is written and edited by professional educators. Use the Curriculum as an inspiration to make your own lessons, or use it as-is. You decide.
- You can incorporate a screening of a live video from the Global Day ON AIR: bring LIVE speakers to your event through streaming video! Ask questions, learn with world-class scholars, or use the videos throughout the year to guide Jewish study.
- You can use our library of Curricula from previous years, which are all available for free.
- You can use our archive of videos from previous years, which you can watch here or on YouTube.